Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Lentils

I make lots of confessions on my blog it seems, so here's another one.  I had never heard of lentils until I was "mature" adult, much less tasted or even cooked any.  I can't remember exactly how I ever came to know about them, but now they are as much a staple in our home as beans. 

Lentil facts:

  • Lentils are in the legume family.
  • High in fiber
  • Protein-rich 
  • High in iron- among all the vegetarian sources of iron
  • Do not require soaking before cooking.
  • Quick cook time compared to beans.
  • Very versatile


Lentils come in 1 lb. packages.   Rinse the lentils through a colander under cold water. Place lentils in a large cooking pot and  add 6-8 cups of water with bouillon added for flavor or homemade chicken/beef stock.  Cook until the lentils are tender...usually about 45 minutes. 

A couple of weeks ago, I cooked a package of lentils and used that pot for 3 different meals.  

Here's what we did:

Lentil and Ground Turkey Tacos:

1/2 lb. of browned ground turkey
2 cups of cooked lentils

Prepare like regular taco filling...serve with your favorite taco shells and toppings.


These are my all-time favorite veggie burger!  I just used the cooked lentils I had made and skipped that step of the recipe.    I also, substituted spinach and fresh minced garlic for the onions. 









Lentil Sloppy Joes

1/2 lb. of browned ground turkey
2 cups cooked lentils
1 can of sloppy joe sauce
Buns

Combine ingredients and serve on buns!  Easy as that!




Some more favorite ways to serve lentils:

Lentil Stew with Dumplings



Lentil Stew with Capers--Olive Garden soup


Check out my Recipes board on pinterest for some other lentil recipes!


The Chicken Chick
monday's homestead barn hop


LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...